Roasted Pumpkin Sage Soup
Servings: 5 • Size: a little under 1-3/4 cup •
Calories: 137.5 • Fat: 3 g • Carb: 25 g • Fiber: 7 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 9 g
Sodium: 459 mg (without salt)
- 2 medium (6 lbs total) sugar pumpkins or pumpkin pie pumpkins
- 1 tbsp butter (olive oil for dairy-free)
- 3/4 cup shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth (vegetarians can use vegetable stock)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- reduced fat sour cream for garnish, (optional)
Heat the oven to 400°F. Using a heavy, sharp knife, cut the pumpkins in half. Scoop out seeds and place on a baking sheet; bake for 1 - 1-1/2 hours.
When the pumpkin is cooked and cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. This should make about 5 cups.
Add butter or olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven, on medium heat; add shallots and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add pumpkin and broth to the pot, along with sage, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for about 15 minutes.
Blend in a blender or immersion blender and blend the soup until smooth.
Makes 8 1/2 cups